Anne and Fowler McCormick (grandson of John D. Rockefeller) began to assemble the vast McCormick Ranch parcels of land between 1942 and 1954. At the time of Anne's death in 1969, the ranch covered nearly 7 square miles. Within the 4,236 acres were over 640 acres of irrigated land, plus water tanks for livestock and wildlife. The ranch was also used for raising the finest purebred Arabian horses and Angus cattle. The McCormick Ranch horse operations were located at Scottsdale Road and Northern Ave., where the main entrance to McCormick Ranch housing development is today.
Gauche, Rona and Solay
The McCormick's main living area was located on the northeast corner of Scottsdale and Indian Bend Roads. Also owned by the McCormick's was an 160 acre ranch, which was originally built by the Jolly family in 1921, and was eventually purchased by Merle Cheney in 1943. Just south, across Indian Bend Road (where the park now exists) were alfalfa fields and the ranch bunkhouse, used as guest quarters for family members and visitors. This area served as the main kitchen and dining area for family activities. The bunkhouse, dating from before the McCormick Ranch era, is the only structure left on the original ranch.