Railroad History Brought to Life
The Scottsdale Railroad Museum captures generations of railroad history into a unique, one-of-a-kind attraction. The museum consists of the historic Peoria Depot, the Roald Amundsen Pullman Car and a number of other railroad artifacts and memorabilia that’s sure to bring the history of railroads to life. Admission is one ticket for guests thirteen and older, with children twelve and younger free with a paying adult.
Railroad Park exhibit captures the gratitude and personal history of World War II France
Visitors to the McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park this October will be able to view a special thank you message steeped in history and sacrifice.
In 1948, not long after the conclusion of World War II, the residents of France packed 49 rail cars full of donated items and delivered one to each U.S. state well as Washington D.C. as a way of saying thanks to Americans for their support. The gifts were known as Merci Cars. The cars arrived in New York City on February 3, 1949.
Arizona’s Merci Car has been on display at the railroad park since 1989. In October, the original contents of that car will also go on display at the park, part of a rotating display made possible through a partnership with the Arizona Capitol Museum.
The Merci Car exhibit will feature personal items from the residents of France dating from this historic period – toys, books, clothing and thank you notes that express a nation’s gratitude for U.S. support. This exciting new exhibit will be unveiled during the re-opening of the newly renovated Scottsdale Railroad Museum.
Engine No. 6
Magma Arizona Railroad Engine No. 6 hauled copper ore from Superior to Magma, Arizona for 38 years. Built in October 1907 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, the hard working 2-6-0 engine served the mining railroads of Arizona for 54 years before being retired in January 1960. Engine No. 6 was purchased by the Scottsdale Railroad and Mechanical Society in 1977 and is the only Arizona & New Mexico engine remaining in Arizona.
The Roald Amundsen Pullman Car
The Roald Amundsen Pullman Car was built in 1928 for $205,000. As one of the last cars built by the Pullman Company, the Roald Amundsen is best known for being used by every president from Herbert Hoover through Dwight Eisenhower. It was on this car in 1940 that President Franklin Roosevelt and Canadian Prime Minister W. L. McKenzie King signed the agreement that provided for the joint defense of North America, now known as NORAD. The car was donated to the park in 1971 by Mr. and Mrs. Franz Talley. The car has been placed on the National Historic Register.